Blog

A Lily's Perfume

My newest painting, A Lily's Perfume, is somewhat of a departure for me from my usual wildlife subjects. But, this still life nevertheless portrays my favorite subject...cats! Here's a little bit about how this painting evolved and how I went about creating it.

 

 

Inspiration

This is a hand-painted Chinese perfume bottle which the Chinese artist skillfully painted the scene on the inside of the bottle with beautiful soft colors. Each side has a different scene. I have three different bottles and eventually plan to paint each one. Each of the other bottles also has cats painted on the inside!

 

Technique

I painted the background a solid black to enhance the soft colors on the inside of the glass. I started at the top of the painting and worked my way down to the cats. The black and white kitten on the right side of the painting was in the corner of the triangle making a triple reflection of its head which I found fascinating. I used a glaze medium to make the painting as smooth as the glass it was painted on. To complete the composition, I added a Peruvian Lily blossom to the bottle to complement the Chinese artist’s interior artwork.

 

I hope you enjoyed viewing my work, and if so, feel free to leave a comment.

 

 


International Artist Magazine Award

It’s official. The April/May 2024, #156 edition of International Artist Magazine just hit the news stands featuring my two-page article on winning their Grand Prize in the “Wildlife” category of their artist’s challenge. What an exciting moment for me!

 

As I mentioned in my previous blog post, International Artist Magazine – currently in its 25th year of print and online publication – is recognized worldwide as one of the most respected art publications available, with a readership of well over 150,000 readers. Being featured in their magazine is truly a once in a lifetime honor.

 

 

To read the article, click on the image above to open a PDF file.

 

Also, be sure to check back here in a few weeks for an upcoming four-page article featuring more of my artwork in American Art Collector – the most prestigious magazine in America focusing on traditional fine art with a readership dedicated to art collectors and galleries throughout the United States.

 

To learn more about International Artist Magazine, or If you’d like to subscribe, visit their website at: https://www.internationalartist.com/


Award - International Artist Magazine

Earlier this month I received one of the most cherished awards of my entire art career. I was notified that one of my paintings – “Leonardo” – had been selected as the Grand Prize Winner in the “Wildlife” category of International Artist Magazine’s artist’s challenge.

International Artist Magazine – currently in its 25th year of print and online publication – is recognized worldwide as one of the most respected art publications available, with a readership of well over 150,000. Every two months, it features recognized artists, describing their techniques/materials and exploring the inspirations behind their works. Also with each issue, all artists from anywhere in the world are invited to submit one of their paintings in a specific category to be judged for recognition in an upcoming edition of the magazine.

As part of my Grand Prize Winner award, “Leonardo” and I will be featured in a special, two-page spread in the April/May issue of the magazine. Additionally, a four-page editorial feature about my artwork will appear in an upcoming edition of American Art Collector – the most prestigious magazine in America focusing on traditional fine art with a readership dedicated to art collectors and galleries throughout the United States.

In addition to this award, “Leonardo” previously had been juried into the upcoming Women Artists of the West exhibition opening on March 1, 2024 and running through June 23 at the Phippen Gallery in Prescott, AZ. If you’re going to be near Prescott, I also invite you to attend the exhibit’s official Opening Reception on March 9, 2024 from 5:30 to 7:00 p.m.


What a way to start 2024!!

On December 31, 2023 I received notice that my new painting “Leonardo” was juried into the 54th Annual Women Artists of the West exhibit. The Phippen Museum in Prescott, AZ will host the exhibit which runs from March 1, 2024 through June 23. The opening reception for artists and guests will be on March 9th from 5:30 to 7:00 pm. I’d like to invite everyone to attend the reception or to visit the Phippen anytime during the show’s run.

 

“Leonardo” is one of my most ambitious paintings to date not only for the color and detail of his coat, but for the physical size of the painting itself (measuring 24” x 36″).

 

 

Leonardo – a Jaguar-Leopard hybrid – has a special place in my heart. He was a beautiful Jaguar with an unfortunate history. Born into captivity, this wondrous creature was raised in a cage and trained for the entertainment industry. To make him easier to handle, his canine teeth were pulled as were all of his claws. When his trainers tired of him, they passed him off to a small roadside zoo in southern Arizona where he endlessly paced in a tiny 10 x 12 foot cage with little care.

 

Finally, the zoo no longer wanted him and Leonardo eventually found a caring home with Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center (SWCC) in Scottsdale, Arizona. And, that’s where I first encountered him enjoying the late afternoon sunshine. After eight loving and peaceful years at SWCC, Leonardo passed away at the age of 17 in 2020.

 

Magnificent is too small a word to describe how regal Leonardo was, and I hope my painting reflects some of his majesty.

 

For more information about Women Artists of the West, visit their website at:

https://www.womenartistsofthewest.org/

 

For more information about the Phippen Museum, visit their website at:

https://phippenartmuseum.org/

 

For more information about Southwest Wildlife Conservation Center, visit their website at:

https://www.southwestwildlife.org/